Ultimate Carrot cake with Sour Cream Frosting
When it comes down to cakes I always go back to, the carrot cake is one of my kitchen stars, It’s just a great cake, so simple so good.
There is something about pound cakes that are just a perfect pair for me by a good cup of coffee or tea. carrot cake is a light dessert cake and is not heavy or sweet like the fancy cream cakes, it’s the perfect cake for entertaining when you need to make a big amount of cakes for a big crowd.
Carrot cake guidelines
Just throw all ingredients to your mixer bowl and you’re fine, right? well you might have an eatable cake but it will not be a great one, here’s some pointers I’ve picked up over time.
- mix the butter and the sugar for a relatively long period of time, I mix for at least 7 minutes, we want to end up with a puffy pale mixture.
- Use a big amount of carrots, it’s not a real carrot cake without a heavy carrot presence, plus, having a big amount of carrots adds fibers and nutritional values, it also allows us to reduce the amount of sugars dramatically because of the high natural sugar amount in the carrots.
- Bake for at least an hour when using the large pound cake pans, it might sound like a lot of time but a pound cake which is not fully baked will be a disaster. Check for consistency of the cake by inserting a toothpick to the cake every 10 minutes after 50 minutes of baking to make sure the cake is perfectly baked, not undercooked and not overcooked (nobody like a dry cake).
- Use spices, carrots just go so well with cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg and ginger, but don’t overuse them since they are very aggressive in flavor.
- Don’t be afraid in using whole-wheat flour, it’s a great match for this cake, it will add depth of flavor while the texture still remains light and airy as with white flours.
Carrot cake frosting, do I really need it?
You really don’t, I like the cake without frosting just as I like it with frosting, the icing adds depth of flavor as well as a different texture, but it’s up to you if to add it, the cake is just as good without it.
I see on many recipes heavy cream frosting that takes time, effort and adds a lot of calories, it’s not needed, I always use a simple sour cream and sugar icing, baked for a few minutes to become stable, that’s it, I’m after the sour taste to contradict the sweet flavor of the cake.
Carrot cake is a great cake to make, I always recommend beginners to start with this cake since this cake will bring good results for the new bakers but for the professionals, you can make a great cake that any restaurant will be happy to serve with